A complete guide about How to register an NGO in India
Registering an NGO in India is really big deal, you need to go with several processes and documentation for completion NGO registration in India.
Recently one of a company called Netspaceindia got associated NGO registry for registering dot NGO TLD online. which basically mean if you already have NGO registered, then you can get your domain name with NGO extension (e.g: www.help.ngo ). So I wrote about it at Netspaceindia official blog and explained the benefits of getting your NGO registered online and the complete process of it.
But at the same time, people started calling me for the process of registering an NGO in India. This Pushed me To do some research about how to register an NGO in India. Fortunately, in the past, I had several opportunities to work with some local NGO.
Eventually, My connection with NGO helps me to document this article. So, here are the steps or you can sing guidelines for registering an NGO in India :
- You need to fill up a form at Charity Commission office of your city. as I am living in Nashik city the charity commission of Nashik he is located at Kharbanda park, Dwarka.
- For registering an NGO in India you need a minimum of 7 members and you need to fill details like the age of each member, proof ID proof designation of each member with their photograph.
- You need to create a registration deed form advocate. Normally they have prescribed format For the registration process of NGO.
A deed will basically have following content :
- Name of all members.
- Age of each member.
- members rights.
- who will be the signature authority?
- Yearly meeting schedule.
- The motive of an NGO.
- NOC for the office.
- You should also get an NOC from the owner of the place where NGO office will be registered. in 100 rupees stamp.
- Then you need to attest the registration deed.
- After this, the charity Commission officer verified all the document and will give you a date for inspection.
if everything goes well you should get your NGO certificate registration deed within a month and now you can an open a bank account.
Opening a bank account for The NGO in India:
- Required the deed mentioned above.
- NOC for the registered office.
- President / vice president signature.
- Resolution needs to be passed by all members of NGO.
- PAN card of NGO.
Once your NGO is registered Under Charity Commission of India, you will also get agenda book. The above-mentioned steps are good for registering NGO but this kind of registration does not come under 12 A/ 80 G section.
what is 12 A/ 80 G section ?
If an NGO gets itself registered under section 80g then the person or the organisation making a donation to the NGO will get a deduction of 50% from his/its taxable income. If an NGO gets registered under 12A and 80g, then only it is applicable for any government funding.
my sources recommended for applying 12 A / 80 G certification after a minimum of 3 years of operation. However, newly registered NGO can also apply for 12 A / 80 G certification.
Requirement of documents for registering NGO under 12A /80 G certification:
- Three years of audit report with balance sheet of NGO.
- Details of all members.
- Records of all activities NGO for past 3 years this include but not limited to photograph, newspaper cuts and PR’s.
- Charity commission certificate and registration deed.
I hope the above article will help you answer some of your questions but if you still have some queries please feel free to comment below and I will try to answer them as soon as possible.
- Special thanks to Tejas Kiran Chavan and Hausla which is an NGO established in the year 2011 with an aim to help the gifted children in Nashik District lead a better life. Help us help these Children.
- Section 12A And Section 80g
- Image source : https://www.ketto.org/fundraiser/truthandhope